Thursday 28 May 2015

WHAT I GOT YOU

I got you a jersey
of pure heaven
and a plastic bag full
of promises.
I got you concentrated
conceit
and a belly-full
of unexpected laughs.
I got you
lots of chaos
and a smattering
of confusion.
I got you
turquoise tomorrow
and the
sorrow that
instantly
disappears...

...but my gifts went unappreciated

I got you
what the postman
never saw,
an empire of doubt
and my divided attention.
I got you assaults
on precincts,
perpetual
procrastinating
and a shower
of delightful dates.
I got you silken delights.
I got you priceless
treasures and security
in numbers...

...still, you weren't satisfied

I went to the bottom
of the earth,
and brought you
the root of infatuation.
I filtered
from the saliva
of a thousand unwanted whippets
the elixir of youth.
I got down on my knees and
cracked open
an eternity
of indecision.
I purchased an island
put it in your hand
without the slightest
hint of irony
called you princess...

...you didn't even say 'Thank you'

I got you
the sweet smell of success,
a succession
of excuses,
permanent dizziness
and a Shakespearian
epiphany.
I invented colours,
sent you a link
to the origins
of the universe,
I got you what
you always wanted
and never had,
I got you
a deafening silence
and
a riot of shadows...

...and still you were unimpressed

I conjured up
hosts of cherubim,
flew you to
the dark side of the Moon,
spoke to you in a
dialect
of sexual delectation.
I got you
the holiday of a lifetime,
paradise on a stick,
the sensation of
forever being in love

and you took absolutely no notice,
you went on being yourself

I can't get you anything else
I've run out of ideas

You're on your own now



No comments:

Post a Comment